What Is Salesforce Lead Conversion?
Lead conversion in Salesforce is a process in which a lead record is converted into Accounts, Contacts & Opportunities. This happens when a lead is identified as a qualified Sales prospect.
When A lead Is Converted
- A contact, account & opportunity are created and populated with the lead’s data, and at the same time we can choose to map the account and contact that are already present in the org or we can choose the option of creating a new one.
- It is not compulsory to create a new/existing opportunity.
- The lead field “Converted” is changed from false to true.
After the conversion, the lead record cannot be viewed or edited as a lead but it can be viewed in reports as a lead which means the record is still present. The data within standard lead fields are automatically transferred to contact/account and/or opportunity. For the data within custom lead fields to transfer to the contact/account/opportunity during lead conversion, the administrator must map the custom lead fields from the field and the relationship of the lead object (Map Lead Fields).
A custom lead field can only be mapped to a single field on either contact, account, or opportunity. If the account/contact/opportunity already exists then
- There is no way to convert a lead to an existing opportunity.
- When we convert a lead Salesforce attempts to find an account with the same name as the field “Company” on the lead record. If an account name contains the company’s name, then you will have the option to use the existing record.
- If we attach the lead to an existing account and the lead name matches the name of an existing contact, then you will have the option to use the existing contact record also.
- Converted leads cannot be modified at all.
- It is not always necessary to create an opportunity when converting a lead.
- The default record type for the user performing the lead conversion is selected automatically for records created in the conversion process.
- Once a lead is converted it cannot be reverted to an unconverted state.
- Salesforce does not overwrite existing Account/Contact data on lead conversion.
Lead Scoring And Lead Grading In Salesforce
Lead scoring and lead grading are two commonly used techniques to qualify leads — that is, to determine if a lead is worth passing from your marketing team on to sales.
Automatically scoring inbound leads with a numerical value to indicate how interested they are in your product or service. By assigning points to the prospect’s actions you identify as the most valuable, like visiting the pricing page or requesting a demo, you can create a score for your leads that will show how active they have been and how high their interest level is.
Automatically evaluating inbound leads with a letter grade (A — F) based on a number of factors. Grading leads ensures that the leads being passed from marketing to sales match your company’s ideal customer profile.
Available with Sales Cloud Einstein, which is available in Performance and Unlimited Editions, and for an extra cost in Enterprise Edition.